Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Making Do

I realized this morning how spoiled I really am. I rarely have to "make do" with anything because I usually have or have the means to buy whatever it is that I really need.

This fact came through loud and clear this morning when I realized that I was out of coffee filters. And I had just been at the grocery store the night before, too (what I get for not making a list)! I considered going to work without my obligatory large mug of coffee drunk, but found the potential repurcussions too scary to contemplate that option for very long. So, I decided to "make do."

In college, I think I had friends who never bought coffee filters and only used the multi-functional paper towel instead. But, as I stood in the kitchen with a paper towel in one hand and a coffee basket in the other, it seemed like a square-peg-round-hole IQ test of sorts. I realized that this project would be a lot easier to do if I had already had a cup of coffee to drink. Alas, no such luck. A bit of folding, scrunching, and scissoring produced a "coffee filter" which I hoped would suffice. I wasn't happy with the end result, but it passed the test and made a good-as-it-gets, grounds-free cup of coffee. That's all I asked of it (it didn't need to look pretty while doing it), so crisis avoided.


When I went to eat my cereal, however, I realized that all the bowls were dirty. Never one to hand-wash a dish when I have any other possible option, I ended up "making do" with a tupperware container. The only potential problem was that it's a different size than my regular cereal bowls, so I had no idea how much was "enough" cereal. I decided to just wing it (being emboldened by the caffeine high I was finally feeling), and it turned out okay (if anything, I might have had less cereal than usual -- overcompensation on my part, I'm sure).

In a sense, it was fun to have to come up with a workaround for once, but I was 15 minutes late to work this morning.

Or was that because I laid in bed long after the alarm had gone off?

1 comment:

337is said...

How can anyone live with such a naughty person? It boggles the mind! ;-)