Saturday, July 16, 2005

Was that just movie magic?

Last night we watched 50 First Dates, which was much more tender than I expected it to be, and I really liked it. I didn't get my hopes up because I feel that Adam Sandler movies can be kind of hit-or-miss. Amazingly, this is the only movie I have ever liked Rob Schneider's character in. Making me like Rob Schneider is quite an accomplishment.

I won't go on further because of a commedian I once heard who jokes about how no one wants to talk to you about movies that you've seen six years after they've come out.
Person 1: "Hey, I just saw 50 First Dates. It was great!"
Person 2: "Dude, I saw that movie six years ago! That movie is so old!"
Person 1: "But I want to talk about it now!"

In one of the special features (the goofy music videos, which I usually don't watch), there's a scene where people are watching a movie on a big drive-in screen, but they're sitting in their boats, docked in a bay. I immediately had to know, Does such a thing as a "boat-in" or "float-in" movie theater really exist? It seems like a cool idea. How do you line up your boats? Seems like there would be a lot of precision driving involved.

After 20 minutes of Googling, I had turned up nothing except a collection of theaters that had putt-putt-boats for the kids as part of the "entertainment complex." I found one reference on this page to theatres "designed around lakes where patrons could dock their boats at giant marinas. They could then sit in their boat and watch the movie from the water." Has anyone seen these in real life? I want to know if it was just a concept or if it really existed.

In the music video, most of the boats were sailboats and I thought that it would be pretty terrible to be stuck in a little speedboat behind one of those "tall ships", what with all the rigging and those masts blocking your view. Sailboats: the big haired ladies of the Float-in Movie Theatre world.

1 comment:

337is said...

I love the name Float-in...you should copyright it and make us a fortune!