Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Waste as Art

All of us have probably seen art made out of garbage at some point in our lives (if you haven't, you might need to get out and visit a contemporary art gallery a little more often). Although it sometimes make you feel like you're being tricked by people cleverer than you into believing anything is art, a lot of garbage-as-art can really be beautiful, emotional, and overwhelming in its meaning.

One of my recently discovered trash artists is Chris Jordan. His series on consumerism and waste is really powerful. Check out his photographs here. Be sure to read his artist statements because I think they give even more meaning to the photos (as a good artist statment should!). His series on waste not only makes me even more driven to be a good recycler, but also makes me reconsider the long list of things I want to buy.

No comments: