Monday, January 16, 2006

Bathroom Queue Ponderings

As I was standing in line for the restrooms at the end of the last Nashville Preds game, a few thoughts crossed my mind. In an effort to put a toe over the line into "too much information" land, I thought I would share those thoughts here.

1. It is great to be a woman at a sporting event. For once, the guys restroom line is as long or longer than the girls. Ha, ha!

2. Seriously, what are women doing in those stalls that it takes them so long to come out again? The mind reels. Especially since they come out of the stalls and then primp in the mirror for another five minutes. Our lines may be shorter but the time per person is extremely inefficient. Hurry up!

3. In Taiwan (where I lived for six months), they really know how to queue up for the restrooms. Each person stands in front of a specific stall door, thereby eliminating most of the line that usually bottlenecks the entrance to the restroom. It makes the line look a lot shorter to people entering the restroom, making your restroom visit less discouraging (at least initially). Queueing in front of a specific stall also eliminates those moments of indecision when two stall doors open and you're not sure which one to go for first. On the negative side of this restroom strategy, if you pick the wrong door to stand in front of it could be really annoying. I keep meaning to try and organize it sometime, but I think the people in the restroom might be totally freaked out by it. On the plus side, the line might actually get shorter as people flee from my freakiness!

I was trying to find a link to a study I once read about where "scientists" measured the amount of time women took in the restroom vs. men. It was at least twice as long for women. Instead, I found this link to a research project someone at the University of Chicago Law School was doing on men's vs. women's restrooms. Since it's topical, I thought I would include the link here.

1 comment:

337is said...

I think women drink less beer than men at the Predators' games which is why less of them use the facilities during the game.