Friday, July 20, 2007

Viva la Manifesto!

First, let me start by saying that a person can never use the phrase "Viva la ______" too many times. I just had that realization (many of you cleverer people probably have known this for years) when I started typing the title of this post. I thought, "Oh, I probably have used 'Viva la ______' already at some point. I should search my blog for it before I use it again. I don't want to be redundant." Then I thought, "No, you can never use 'Viva la ______' too many times. It's a classic!" I just want you to know where I stand on this issue before we go any further.

Now, on to the actual topic of this post: An Incomplete Manifesto. I love the ideology of this piece of writing and, after losing it for about two years, I was happy to stumble on to it again (okay, I actually just thought of it tonight, and then googled it, and here it is -- deliberate stumbling). I used to have this Incomplete Manifesto posted in my cubicle at work at Borders. When I changed companies, I thought it was a bit too radical to post at my new job, so it didn't make the transition with me to my current cubicle. Some people would say that I shouldn't let things like where I work and who I work with determine the "flags I fly," but I beg to differ. Although I do admire people who are who they are all the time regardless of the situation they're in, I am more intrigued by people who manage to keep their work personas and home personas at least a little bit separate. I think it helps to define the mental space between work-life and home-life, but it also allows some flexibility to be who you need to be for that particular moment.

At any rate, I thought I would post it here for some others to enjoy. That way I'll know right where it is when I need it again.

Viva la repetition!

3 comments:

Sam said...

Post Unabomber I am a little leery of anything manifesto but I like this one. It makes good sense to me.

mike g said...

Viva La Lisa!

LMR said...

Mike, that's my favorite kind of "Viva la..."! How did you know?