Sunday, June 03, 2007

My other favorite topic: Shoes

After living in Nashville for two years, I have finally stumbled upon the thing I will really miss if we ever move away -- the Marti and Liz shoe store in Cool Springs. It's in the same shopping center as the Kroger on Mallory Lane. If you have not yet visited this store (assuming that you love shoe shopping), please make a trip down there as soon as is humanly possible.

I first visited Marti and Liz after my birthday in January. With birthday money burning a hole in my pocket, Les and I found this legendary store and I spent a good hour there, trying on shoes and working to narrow down my purchases to a less outrageous quantity than every pair on the shelf in my size. I walked out the door with (only) five pairs of shoes, and it was a struggle for me to hold myself back to that number. Still, I only spent $120 dollars on five pairs, and I thought that was a great bargain.

In case I haven't explained it before, my mother created what I consider to be an ingenious system for rationalizing spending money on things. The system is this: Will you use/wear this item one time for every dollar you spend on it?

You can quickly see the wisdom in this system through the following examples:

1. A pair of sneakers for $90. Will I wear them 90 times? Yes, I'll probably wear them at least twice a week for a year. Okay, then I can rationalize buying them.

2. A dress for $80. Will I wear this dress 80 times? No way! Then I really need to think long and hard about buying it.

You can see where this system breaks down for things like cars or houses and other extremely high-dollar items, but otherwise this is a fantastic guideline for determining whether or not to buy something, no matter how expensive or inexpensive it seems.

But if you're going to spend money, just give Marti and Liz a try.

3 comments:

337is said...

Did you just publicly give me permission to buy a PlayStation 3?

LMR said...

I said that this only works for non-high-dollar items. Sorry, baby, but PS3 falls into the high-dollar range for me!

Sam said...

I like the system, I may try it. Now I do the recon thing. I see something I like, if I still like it and think about it later I go back. I lose things this way but sometimes, like the last clothing purchase, they are on sale and then I feel smart.