Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day (a.k.a., I love you, Dad!)

Well, a person really can't let a Father's Day go by without posting a little something about their dad (even though my dad doesn't use the internet and may never see this).

My dad is a very unique individual. I am reminded of this every time I go to buy him a Father's Day card. He's not into normal dad things, or at least what it appears that normal dads are into based on the Father's Day cards available. He doesn't read The Wall Street Journal. He doesn't drink beer. He doesn't oogle at sexy ladies. He doesn't sleep on the sofa in a shirk-my-honey-do-list sort of way. He doesn't obsess about his yard, driving around on his riding lawn mower. He doesn't wear a lot of ties. He doesn't go hunting. He isn't into fixing cars or other stuff around the house. He doesn't grill. He's not into sports. He doesn't use duct tape to repair things. He's not really known for loving to burp and fart. When you have a father like my dad, buying a Father's Day card can be quite challenging.

Here, then, are the topics for Father's Day cards that would work for a guy like my dad (Hallmark, I hope you're listening):
(1) A picture of a dad sitting at a table with all kinds of empty dishes around him (my dad loves to eat).
(2) A picture of a dad cuddling with his kids, reading a book (my dad was the sweetest guy when we were litle -- and he still is today).
(3) A picture of a dad having fun with a dog (my dad is great with pets).
(4) A picture of a dad out in an open field (my dad grew up on a farm and loves nature).
(5) A picture of a dad holding up an empty wallet and smiling in a "yep, that's how it is" kind of way (my dad will always give his girls all the dollars in his wallet before you head back home).
(6) A picture of a dad wearing a funny hat and glasses (my dad loves attention and loves to ham it up).
(7) A picture of a dad riding down a hill on a sled or in a little red wagon (my dad was just a big kid when we were little and loved to play with us).
(8) A picture of a dad shaving with a little girl (not just a little boy) looking up at him (my dad loved to chase us around the house asking us for kisses, with a shaving cream filled face).
(9) A picture of a dad carrying kids on his shoulders or piggy-back or both at once (my dad was a jungle-gym in human form when we were kids).
(10) A picture of a dad tossing a little kid up in the air (dads just know how to have the most fun ever).

Even though I am reminded at least once a year on Father's Day that my dad isn't a "normal" dad, I am so glad to have someone as unique and funny and creative and special in my life. I love you, Dad!

1 comment:

337is said...

Sweet post. Your dad is one of a kind. I think you should market your cards and then we can retire. Get on it ok?