Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Movies in the Park

I went to "Movies in the Park" tonight at Centennial Park. If you have never been to this family-friendly event under the stars, I highly recommend it. I have only been one time before tonight (to see Grease), but it was such a lovely experience two weeks ago that I knew I had to go at least once more before the summer season ended.

I got there around 6:45 p.m. (which is late, if you're trying to get a good seat, even though the movie doesn't start till 8:15 or so), so I didn't have too many blanket-spot options. It was a choice between either far to one side, waaaay in the back, or right up front. I went with right up front because although I knew the sound would be loud (it's turned up to concert volume levels so that all the people waaaay in the back can hear, too), I also knew that I'd be able to see well and that the loud sound would cut down on any crowd distractions.

Last time I went, I didn't bring any pillows and regretted it, as the grass is quite level and once you lay down on the blanket, you can see the stars really well, but you have to crane your neck weirdly to see the screen and even then it looks all distorted because of the angle. This time, I had an extra blanket for my head, so I was all set.

My friend Kenzie came with me and got to the park in time to grab a Rotier's sandwich and an ice cream cone (I'd had pizza earlier, but joined her for the ice cream experience), and then we settled in and got ready for the movie.

Tonight's feature was Singing in the Rain, a movie that I'd seen a few years ago, but couldn't remember the plot of at all . . . so it was basically like seeing a whole new movie. Of course, by the end of the first scene I was completely in love with the dashing Gene Kelly, and our on-screen / off-screen romance continued until the credits were rolling at the end. The American Film Institute rated this movie #10 of their Top 100 movies, and if you ever see it, you'll know why. Unlike some musicals, which have at least one somber, downer scene, this musical is light and fun and entertaining the whole way through. Great dancing and great songs! I'll be tapping my way to work tomorrow, while humming "Good morning, good morning..."

The highlight of my week so far.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes. Gene Kelly.

I recently watched the special features on my Singin' in the Rain DVD. Debbie Reynolds was raised a Nazarene which should make Kenzie really happy!

Anyway, it's a wonderful movie and no body can cut a rug like Mr. Kelly. Now that's a movie star.