Thursday, November 24, 2005

Persistence Pays Off!

The year was 1997 and I was in a revenge state of mind. We were sitting in a movie theatre watching the credits of Spice World (yep, the Spice Girls movie) roll past. I had blindfolded my friend Rob, led him into the theatre, and made him watch this movie against his wishes.

What had he done to deserve such a cruel fate? He had taken me to see David Lynch's Lost Highway a few weekends prior. I had really hated that movie. In fact, I would have walked out of the theatre after the first 10 minutes if it hadn't been for the fact that Rob was my ride home.

And so, to get back at him, I had made him watch Spice World. It actually hadn't been that bad (especially compared to Lost Highway), and I was thinking that he might have gotten off easy, so I decided that we would stay to the bitter end and watch all of the credits, too.

As the last of the words rolled up the screen, we began collecting our things, getting ready to leave. But wait! There's more! The Spice Girls came back on the screen and told us to go home. At the end of the credits, something else happened. Who knew?

This experience changed me forever. Now I always stay in the movie theatre until the credits have rolled by and the theatre lights have come on, just in case something awesome happens after the words. 98% of the time, nothing happens. But Tuesday night I went to a free screening of The Producers, and there was a post-credit bonus sequence. And there were only about six people in the theatre to see it. Vindication!

So, if you go and see The Producers, stay until the bitter end. It's worth waiting for...

2 comments:

Michael Hickerson said...

Ferris Bueller does a simliar thing. If you sit through the entire credits, Ferris comes up and says--the movie's over, go home.

I know the South Park movie has a joke at the end of the credits as well.

And never forget that the Hot Shots movies made it interesting to sit through credits and look for jokes.

337is said...

Who knew the Spice Girls would have such a profoundly lasting impact on you? Here I'm your husband and I never knew that's why we have to stay to the bitter end of each film...