Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

I was so tuckered out last night that I went to bed really early. It's not surprising that I woke up at 2:30, after about 6 hours of sleep, and was wide awake. I thought I would take an opportunity to wish you all an early morning Happy Thanksgiving! Perhaps my friends with new babies will be awake, too, catching up on blogs during their early morning feeding... If so, HELLO!

I was thinking, "Maybe I should start cooking something!" but then decided that that seemed a little bit crazy, especially since it's just the two of us for Thanksgiving and we can eat whenever we want to today.

Instead, I thought that I would give everyone my veggie Thanksgiving recipe. Since we're vegetarian, we never have turkey for Thanksgiving (obviously), but I make this chicken roast instead. Yes, I know it should be a turkey roast to be consistent with the holiday, but for some reason it has always been a chicken roast through the years and so the tradition continues.

If you're not vegetarian and you're not a roast eater, I fear that you will read the ingredients and think, "Gross!" In my experience, however, the magic of roasts is that you can throw a lot of disconnected things into a pan, mix them up, bake them, and they turn out delicious!

Stuff you will need:
-1.5 cups soft bread crumbs (just run pieces of bread through a food processor until you have enough)
-13 oz. frozen veggie chicken, shredded in a food processor and added to the bread crumbs (I use Worthington Foods' "Meatless Chicken Style" veggie protein; it comes in a big roll in the freezer section and usually has to be purchased at an Adventist Book Center -- check your phone book for the nearest ABC location)

-1/4 cup chopped onion (I don't like onions, so I blend them in a little blender thingy until they're nearly onion juice!)
-1 tsp McKay's Chicken Seasoning, vegetarian (also usually purchased at an Adventist Book Center; it comes in a jar and is in powered form)
-1/2 cup mayo
-1 tsp lemon juice
-1/2 cup milk (use condensed milk if you're really being "naughty")
-2 Tbsp vegetable oil
-crushed corn flakes to go on top of the roast, for a crispy upper crust

Directions:
-Shred bread and chicken in food processor (I use the blade that has lots of holes in it)

-Add oil, onions, chicken seasoning, mayo, and lemon juice
-Mix well
-Put into greased (or no-stick sprayed) smaller (9x9 or 11x7) casserole/roast dish
-Pour milk evenly on top
-Cover with crushed corn flakes (you can judge how much to use; I can still see the roast through the corn flake layer when I'm done)
-Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 375 degrees

I hope you like it! We think it's delicious!

No comments: