Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Stop Smoking Tracker

I am not a smoker myself, but can understand the desire to quit doing something bad for yourself, and how hard it can be to do it long-term. For instance, I have been trying to not eat junk food for a very long time, with no success. One of the barriers seems to be that junk food doesn't seem that much more expensive than fresh, good food (like fruits and veggies), and it's so convenient -- open and eat. I could do some detailed cost analysis of the damage it is doing to my health and the insurance co-payments I'll be paying in the future, or the amount of money I have to spend buying new clothes when I gain weight, but with these kinds of variables, I just can't build a convincing argument for myself.

I was on someone else's blog today, and they had a ticker (the Stop Smoking Quitmeter)at the bottom of their screen that showed how long it has been since they've smoked and how much money they've saved in the process. I thought this provided a pretty clear picture of at least the financial reasons to give up smoking. Since I find calculations of all sorts fascinating, I thought I would post the link here in case anyone else would find it interesting or motivational.

Now I'm off to determine my "real age." Let's see how motivating that is!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I am the blogger behind WKRN's Nashville is Talking and I was hoping to get your email address to add to our database.

If you want, email me your email address at brittneyg at gmail dot com.

Thanks!