Saturday, December 10, 2005

Boring Boredey Bored

The prospect of a long day at the beach makes me panic. There is no harder work I can think of than taking myself off to somewhere pleasant, where I am forced to stay for hours and 'have fun'.
--Phillip Lopate


Although I do not consider myself someone who has a hard time relaxing (based on all the weekends where it seems I don't do much of anything), the Friday after Thanksgiving was one of the most boring days in recent history.

Les was working and I was home all by myself, with nothing at all to do for the day except "whatever I wanted to do." You would think this would be a fantastic thing; it certainly seemed to be something that I had been longing for for months. Yet, after sleeping in as late as I could, I found myself pacing nervously around the apartment. What to do? What to do?

Chores were out -- this was supposed to be a vacation day, a "day off," after all.

Shopping was out -- one of the worst days of the year to do it, and I'm not a big shopper anyway.

And I felt too distracted to concentrate on a book or a movie.

Too many options, and I couldn't select just one!

In the end, I watched a movie (Saved) that we had had out from Blockbuster's mail order for four months, just so I could check "Watch Saved and send it back to Blockbuster" off of my To Do List (I knew I could slip a chore in there somehow!). I went and got the mail. I paged through a magazine (backwards, the way I always look at magazines). I took a shower.

At last, Les came home around 4:30 and I could cook dinner and do whatever he wanted to do. You'd think that after six months living by myself in TN, I could thoroughly entertain myself for six hours one Friday. Guess not.

1 comment:

337is said...

Folks, please send this girl a list of suggestions of "things to do."