Sunday, August 28, 2005

Fantasy Football Fever


Well, everyone, I am now among the ranks who are enjoying Fantasy Football Fever. I have never played Fantasy Football before, but my friend Jason twisted my arm into joining his league this year. Our league includes maybe one stereotypical jock, so at least I'm not going to be swimming in testosterone during this football season, and probably won't hear too many, "You're doing really good . . . for a girl!" comments either.

I'd like to believe that I'm going to "pull a Lisa Simpson" in that episode where she and Homer bonded over watching football (she was using her smarts to research the teams' stats and would tell him who to bet on), and really get into managing my team so that I can insure a few wins this season. In reality, I'll probably let everything just go on auto-pilot and hope for the best, checking my rankings every couple of months, and getting annoyed that I'm not winning more games. The great thing about Fantasy Football (or so I'm told) is that this is an okay approach to participating in a league. I'm going for it (the laissez-faire attitude, that is)!

The "theme" of our league is Star Wars, but since "Tatooweenie" was already taken, I chose a regional theme for my team instead. My team name is "Deb's Dixie Darlins" -- "We put three D's in DDDefense!" Although my name is not Deb (as most of you know), my friend Jason calls me "Debbie" because I bought a cool bike in college and it came with a personalized plate that said "Debbie" on it. Viola! The nickname is born!

If anything exciting happens during this Fantasy Football season, I'll let you know.

No comments: