Thursday, September 15, 2011

Education, Life, and What You Want to Be When You Grow Up

My husband and I have reached "middle-age," though I'm not really sure what exactly is considered "middle" anymore. To be specific, he's almost 41 and I'm 37-3/4. For us, part of being this age and not having kids to distract us from existential crises means that we spend a lot of time talking about our future, specifically jobs and location.

We've been in the workplace in some form or another for 25 years apiece. Most of my work experience has been office-based (everything from envelope-stuffing and filing to project management) and most of Les's work experience has been retail-based, with specific focus on music retail. These are careers that we've fallen into accidentally, but careers that we're good at and definitely have a wealth of experience in by this point in our lives. But I think that we're both of the mindset that "easy" or "good" doesn't always equal "best" or "healthiest," so we're always thinking and exploring. Success doesn't mean that it's not fun or important to think about what-ifs, how-abouts, and perhapses as far as the future is concerned.

Because of this general belief that we're only at an approximate half-way point in life and not just working a seam that leads from "here" to a defined "there," I'm always interested to read articles (and specifically articles that don't spout the usual business or faith-based rhetoric and don't use the words "maximize" or "God-sized hole") that discuss "Why are you here?" themes. This article by Mark Edmundson, "Who Are You and What Are You Doing Here?" is an amazing read.

I posted it on Facebook along with my favorite quotes from the last two paragraphs, but since Facebook doesn't have a good way to search for content I've posted in the past, I thought I would also log it here so I can find it again later.

No comments: