Sunday, April 30, 2006

Signs of Summer

As the weather has been getting gradually warmer here in TN, I’ve been seeing the signs of summer appearing in my everyday activities. Two weekends ago, I painted my toenails for a CD cover photo I was making about picnicking. Painting my toenails is one of the earliest signs of summer-to-be. It means that I am committing to wearing toe-less shoes at least three or four days each week so that everyone can see my awesome polish-job (“Hide it under a shoe-toe? No! I’m gonna let it shine!”). For my fake picnic set up, it was about 75 degrees out and certainly felt warm enough for a picnic outside on the as-yet-unmowed lawn. You could feel in the air that summer was coming. Yes, it was exciting!

Here are a few other signs of summer I’ve observed so far this season:

  1. Last weekend we ate a watermelon. It was actually pretty good (8 out of 10 on the Larry-Lyle rating scale – my family’s standard measurement for watermelon), but we unfortunately sliced it up on a cutting board that had last had onions on it, and the onion taste managed to permeate the watermelon in parts! Oh, well!

  2. I have put away my ice scraper (being from Michigan originally, I am one of the few TN residents who own a deluxe ice scraper with brush, two blades, and an extendable reach option) and gotten out my sunshade (folks, I still attest that this really does keep you car cooler).

  3. Les and I are looking at lawn furniture. Sure, we only have a small balcony at our apartment, but it would be nice to sit out on it on these cool spring evenings.

  4. I’m starting to wonder when the pool in our apartment complex is going to open. There have already been a few days when swimming seemed appealing.

  5. We’re starting to make our list of summer festivals we want to attend in Tennessee (any ideas, please comment in my blog).

  6. Les is wearing shorts and Birks everywhere except to work.

  7. The outside patio at restaurants is fuller than the inside rooms.

  8. It’s too hot to wear my hockey jersey to the Predators games. I have to carry it there, then put it on over my short sleeves once we get inside the arena.

  9. My feet are getting too hot in regular shoes and I’m only too happy to show off my sparkly toenails in flip-flops.

  10. People in my office have started wearing short pants and tank tops to work.

If summer hasn’t quite made it to you yet, be patient. It’s coming in all its glory soon!

2 comments:

Malia said...

Have you ever been to the RC Cola and Moon Pie festival in Bell Buckle?? I think it's in June. It's quintessential TN festival!

Sam said...

You forgot the DQ! I know we're gettin on summer when the Dairy Queen opens.