Saturday, February 04, 2006

Public Art in Nashville

During the Christmas holiday, a friend visited us from Tampa, FL. He moved to Tampa about a year ago and has spent the past 12 months visiting and photographing every public art site that he can find in Tampa and the surrounding area. When he visited Nashville, he was interested in doing something similar in our lovely city. The problem was, I couldn't find a list of public art anywhere. I knew where a couple of pieces were, but did not know of a compiled list that you could work towards "checking off."

Since my friend's return to Tampa, I've been compiling my own personal list of things I want to see and do in Nashville and I revisited the public art checklist idea. I did a little research, but could only really come up with this site. While the details about each of the pieces listed are extensive, I know that there are a lot of works left off of this list. Do any Nashvillians know of a more comprehensive list that exists? If not, I'm half tempted to make up a list of my own.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your best bet is the art section of the Nashville Scene - where they list all the new and current showings.

As far as "shopping" for art, are you talking about window shopping where you just look, or are you talking about buying art?

There really isn't much art patronage in Nashville - those with money get a bigger kick of traveling to other cities to do their buying.

AND, just about any artist from Nashville worth his/her salt learns quickly that to make a living at producing art, they have to move to cities like Chicago, Atlanta, New York.

IMHO - given all that I've just said, the best local galleries to buy art, mainly be Nashville area artists are: Zeitgiest, Arts Company Gallery, and Cumberland Gallery.

337is said...

Hmmm...what is this so called "Public Art" you speak of?

Anonymous said...

I just came across your site and your posting and thought I would recommend one additional source for exceptional fine art in Nashville. You might check out Gallery One, which has been open for just about a year and features 25 mid-career artists from all over the country. The gallery is located at 5133 Harding Road. For information, check out www.galleryone.biz.