Monday, February 15, 2016

Just freshening up!

2012 appears to be the year that everyone stopped writing on their blogs. I know blogs aren't dead, but all my friends and I stalled out several years ago and haven't had anything to say since.

So this is a post that updates my blog a bit.

A lot has happened since my last post. For one thing, the new nephew that I announced is now FOUR. Today. He just turned FOUR. So, instead of being a baby, he's running around telling jokes and kicking a soccer ball and playing with his brother. That's right. The first baby is now a big brother to a 1 year old.

We also moved from Nashville back to Michigan. I had to update my blogger profile because it was all about Nashville living and being in my early 30s, stuff that's totally outdated now.

On my own birthday several weeks ago, I went roller skating with friends. It was not as easy as I remembered it being when I last roller skated. Which was probably 20 years ago. At least. But eventually I got my skate-legs back and had a lot of fun. Also, it is better exercise than I remember it being all those years ago. I got sweaty. It was a total surprise.

The thought this year for me has been updating my "I haven't _________ since I was ______ years old!" statements. A friend gave me the idea about roller skating. I said, "Oh, I probably haven't been roller skating since I was 18 years old!" He said I should go roller skating now so that the next time someone wants to go roller skating I can say, "Oh, I haven't been roller skating for a few weeks!" It makes me sound much more adventuresome and current.

So, I'm thinking about my list of things that I want to get more current on:
1. Running a full marathon (since 2009)
2. Ice skating (since around 1990)
3. Sledding (since around 1990)
4. Going to the upper peninsula (since never)
5. Going cross-country skiing (since never)
6. Going downhill skiing (since around 1991)
7. Going to Europe (since 1993)
8. Going to Ireland (since 1994)
9. Going to the Pacific Northwest (since around 2006)
10. Seeing various friends who I haven't seen in years and years

There's a lot to do and not enough time to do it, but this idea is encouraging me to re-try some things and also break out of some old behaviors. And hopefully have some fun in the meantime.

No comments: